Sunday 29 December 2013

Meatloaf Supreme

Meatloaf has got to be one of my favourite comfort foods. It is especially delicious with a pile of creamy mashed potatoes and a rich beef gravy. I've modified my own meatloaf recipe over the years, and this is now the recipe I follow most often.

I don't measure anything, so amounts are estimates. Feel free to adjust, or leave out an ingredient altogether, if you wish. I consider recipes to be guidelines, not hard and fast rules.

Gluten-free meatloaf with diced pre-cooked red pepper

My meatloaf

Ingredients

500 gm minced beef (1 pound ground beef)
250 - 500 gm raw sausage meat or ground pork (1/2 - 1 pound)
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed and finely chopped
3 whole anchovies, finely diced
1 teaspoon capers, finely diced
1 teaspoon mustard powder, or same amount American mustard
a good splodge catsup
2 medium eggs
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs For a gluten-free option, try using rice crumbles.
1 teaspoon salt
a large pinch ground back pepper
4 - 6 slices bacon, dry cure

Method

Preheat oven to Gas mark 6/400f/200c
Combine all of the ingredients except the bacon in a large bowl.
Get your hand in and fold the mixture over itself over and over again until it is completely blended together. I use my hands for this. It's the best way I have found to make sure all of the components are completely mixed together.
Place the mix into a large casserole dish and form into a loaf. I generally leave a gap between the loaf and the edge of the dish to allow for any fat that cooks out. This can be drained off and discarded while cooking if necessary.
Layer the bacon over the top of the loaf.

Meatloaf ready to bake

Bake in the preheated oven for 75 - 90 minutes. If the bacon begins to brown too much, cover it over with foil.

I use a mince that is at least 30% fat when cooking as it adds to the flavour of the loaf. The fat will cook out and can be drained off while cooking so won't be present when you actually sit down to eat this meatloaf.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. If you have question I will answer you as soon as possible.