Wednesday 18 March 2015

Cooking Kedgeree

kedgeree
A traditional British kedgeree


Kedgeree is one of many traditional British foods that had its origins in India and entered the British food menu during the colonial Victorian Age at a time when Anglo-Indian cuisine was fashionable. It is also, traditionally, a breakfast food made by using up leftovers from the evening before. I think it makes a good evening meal as well.

A "real" kedgeree also traditionally uses smoked haddock and no other fish. I improvise by adding mixed seafood and a selection of fish.

The other night, my youngest son asked if we could have seafood risotto for dinner. I didn't have any risotto rice however, so I created my version of a kedgeree instead.

Ingredients:


  • 2 slices bacon, cut into pieces
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 finely chopped onion
  • 2 sliced leeks
  • 1/2 savoy cabbage, chopped
  • 1 cup brown rice
  • 300gm smoked fish (I use a pre-packed mix of smoked cod, haddock, and salmon)
  • 150gm mixed seafood (again a pre-packed mix of prawns, squid, and mussels)
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 pinch chilli flakes
  • 1/8 - 1/2teaspoon chilli powder (to taste)
  • 500ml vegetable stock
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
  • salt and pepper to taste

Method: 

  1. I started by trimming the cabbage and leek. I then used these trimmings along with a couple small carrots to make a quick and simple vegetable stock. To save time, and washing up, I added the two eggs to the pot of water while it was simmering to give me my hard-boiled eggs. 
  2. Heat the olive oil in a deep stew pot, add the bacon and cook until just beginning to crisp. Add in the prepared onion, leek, and cabbage. Add in a couple ladles of stock, then leave to simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes until the vegetables are all softened. 
  3. Add in the rice and spices and stir to get everything combined. Pour in half the stock. Bring it up to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes. 
  4. Add in the fish and seafood, then let it simmer another 10 minutes. 
  5. Taste and adjust seasoning and heat as desired. 
  6. Just before serving, peel and quarter the hard-boiled egg and stir into the dish. 
It can be eaten hot, or cold. I made up extra and packed the leftovers away for my lunch today.

As as evening meal, kedgeree remains a good way of using up any leftovers from the night before. You can add any vegetables you want along with bite-size pieces of any leftover chicken, fish, or pork. 

If you're looking for a more traditional kedgeree recipe, why not try this one from Delia Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. If you have question I will answer you as soon as possible.