It is a nice warming meal for cold days come Autumn and Winter time.
|Sausage and Potato Pie|
Serves: 4 | Prep Time: Total Time:
- 8 Cumberland sausage links, or 1 Cumberland sausage coil
Bottom layer of potatoes
- 115 gram butter
- 2 large onions finely sliced
- 175 gram bacon lardons
- 1 head savoy cabbage finely shredded
- 1 kg floury potatoes parboiled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 570 ml double cream
- 425 ml fresh beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
- Heat a sauté
pan. Add the sausages and gently fry until they are about
three quarters cooked and
Cooking bacon lardons
- Add 55g/2oz of the butter to the sauté pan and once melted add the onions. Cook the onions gently for 10 minutes or until soft and translucent. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the bacon lardons to the frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until golden and crispy. Add the cabbage with 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the cabbage is soft, but still holding a little texture. Drain off any fat, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Rub a large gratin dish (30x21x6cms/12x8x2in) liberally with 25g/1oz butter.
- Place a layer of sliced potatoes in the bottom of the dish season with salt and pepper and a sprinkling of the thyme.
- Top with a layer of sliced sausage, then a layer of cooked onion.
- Top with another layer of sliced potato and season with salt, pepper and thyme.
Layering ingredients into a dish
- Spoon over the cooked cabbage and bacon.
- Top with another layer of potato slices and season again with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Top with a layer of sliced sausage, then a layer of cooked onion and finally a layer of sliced potato.
- Season once again with salt, pepper and thyme.
- Pour the cream and stock into a pan and add the bay leaves. Place over a gently heat and bring to just below boiling point. Pour over the sausage and potato pie. You want the liquid to just cover the top layer of potatoes. Dot over the remaining butter and cover with foil. Place the dish on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and cook for 1.5 hours.
- Remove the foil from the dish and increase the oven temperature to 200C/400F/Gas 6 and cook for a further 15 minutes or until the top is golden. Serve immediately.
The sausage, onions, bacon, and cabbage were all cooked in my SKK Saute Pan. You can find it in the SKK Amazon store linked to at the bottom of this page.